This page is not published. It is used to document BluegrassUSA.net
- color light blue: #dae1e8 black text shows well on this color
- color yellow background #dbca59 this color surrounds the black text
- Sticky menu didn’t work so added CSS code:
- Unable to find a calendar plug-in that works for multiple artists at multiple gigs; events have to be done manually with no google maps: see event formating below
- The Home page has three sections; General message that should be changed regularly; an image slider; facebook posts 3 deep;
- Use blank for padding or 6px or 20px. This keeps text away from the edges. Blank general works fine.
- The Home page has two footers but the rest of the pages only have the bottom footer.
- Each contact form has an identifier so we can track where messages came from
- Bullets still do not work 12/29/2015; fixed with CSS list bullets do not work inside widgets
- Use full width stretch, not standard as it does not display on a phone very well
- There is a problem on my computer with IE not displaying PDF files. They work on Chrome & Firefox.
- When updating events, generally only do 6-8 weeks out since events change and are added. If you add events too far out, they could be canceled or changed and you will miss the change.
- Sydney may not be the best theme but I got started and it was too much work to re-do. I liked the double footer capability. Services, Employees, Testimonials, Clients and Projects are not used. 2/10/2016
- The home page slider: Some of the photos displayed TOO large no matter how I resized them. I finally changed those images to foreground instead of background and made the background color the same as the rest of the page blue
- Change the sequence of cells since the phone displays top to bottom cells left to right. I put the shorter recurring events first then the other events. On the Home page, placed the FB feed on the far right.
- Band images set to 200px tall
- Don’t forget to update the news deadline on the newsletter page
How are events found and formated?
In the summer there are a lot of events.
- Use the annual festival guide to find events & their web sites. Sometimes you have to just search on the event name or contact name to find info. Some folks use Facebook instead of a real web site.
- Some sites post a performance schedule, find it, copy that schedule otherwise you might have to type the info instead of copying
- If the site has pictures of the bands with their name under the picture, highlight all, then past into a program like NOTEPAD++ to eliminate the pictures. NOTEPAD also works.
- Copy from web or notepad and paste into a program that you can use for editing. Microsoft Word 2013 works.
- In Word, highlight the text and remove all formating
- Sort text ascending. This groups the bands together for further processing
- Eliminate garbage like carriage returns, tabs and non-band info like dates. Do it manually or use find & replace depending on the size
- Eliminate the band tag such as Rhonda Vincent & the rage, just use Rhonda Vincent else the listing is way too long.
- Eliminate duplicate entries since bands often play multiple times.
- Now the list should have a band name followed by a carriage return. In Word, you can replace a carriage return with a , space (find ^p replace with , ) This should string the bands out on one line so they can now be copied into WordPress.
- If the listing has times like this 3:45 pm – Nothin Fancy you can use this advanced find & replace to eliminate them find what ^?^?^?^?^?^?^? – ( – has a blank before and after the -) replace with blank or nothing. This also handles 12:45pm – Buckwheat & The Rascals. More tips & tricks at: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Find-and-replace-text-or-other-items-50b45f26-c4b8-4003-b9e4-315a3547f69c?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1#__toc282602051 and http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-cool-ways-to-get-more-from-words-find-and-replace-feature/
- The listing format is: Date 00/00 bands; Event name, Event location including zip, contact phone or email, price for weekend.
- The event name is linked to the web URL of the event.
- Bold the date & state 2 digit abbreviation
- Events should be at least 6-8 weeks out. Don’t do the entire year as on a phone that makes it hard to get to the bottom.
- With practice the events can be updated in a few hours. After the web is updated, events can be copied into the newsletter